Plasma® Rope and Lifting Slings
Plasma® Rope and Slings
Plasma® rope is a synthetic rope (also known as Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene or UHMWPE) that is used in a variety of lifting and rigging applications. This can be used as rope or made into slings for overhead lifting applications. This type of rope is gaining popularity because of its lightweight but strong design.
Learn more about plasma rope and slings below but reach out to our customer service experts if you have questions.
Plasma Rope or UHMWPE Rope
Plasma, or Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE), rope is a high-strength, synthetic rope used in a variety of applications, from general lifting/rigging to marine applications, wind energy applications, and more.
Plasma Rope Construction
All plasma rope sold by US Cargo Control is 100% made in the USA. This domestic-made synthetic rope has two main construction types: 12 strand and 12x12.
Plasma 12 Strand
Plasma® 12 strand is a synthetic rope made from High Modulus Polyethylene (HMPE). This rope is then enhanced through a recrystallization process. It is an extremely strong synthetic rope, and it is also a highly flexible one. Plasma 12 strand rope is also very lightweight for its strength.
This type of synthetic rope is a braided rope. There are 12 strands of braided rope and each of these strands is a 12-strand rope like the Plasma 12 strand described above. Plasma® 12x12 is a much larger rope that provides a high-strength option. This larger rope is still much lighter in weight than wire rope and other alternatives, so it is an extremely strong rope for its weight. It is also extremely flexible, which means it can be easily used in applications where the rope needs to be bent.
The strength and capability of plasma rope make it a great option for a sling, as well. We offer you Plasma Eye & Eye Slings that have great strength and are very lightweight. We offer these in several lengths, but also have custom options available to you. Plasma slings are comparable to wire slings in terms of size and capacity, but they are more lightweight and flexible than wire rope slings.
The UHMWPE rope that makes up the sling offers you great strength and flexibility. This synthetic sling offers you the highest strength-to-weight ratio. It is also very easy to inspect the sling to see if there is damage or a necessary repair. These slings offer you abrasion resistance, corrosion resistance, and water resistance.
Questions about our plasma slings? Reach out to our customer service team and let them help you get exactly what you want, when you need it.
Applications for Plasma Rope and Slings
What are plasma rope and slings typically used for? Plasma rope and slings can be used in a variety of applications. They are used in heavy-duty lifting/rigging applications, as well as heavy-duty towing and hauling.
Some great applications for this type of rope can be offshore lifting applications, tug and salvage lines, as well as ship and barge mooring lines. These water-based applications are common uses for plasma rope because it is water-resistant and can be created with different buoyancy to fit with different applications. Plasma rope can also be used as recovery and tow rope for large vehicles, and more. It offers you a lightweight rope with excellent strength to get a variety of jobs done.
Benefits of Plasma Rope and Slings
- Strong – Plasma rope and slings offer you solid strength and capability. The strength of this type of rope and sling is often the same as wire rope and wire rope slings.
- Lightweight – While it has similar strength and capability as wire rope, plasma rope and slings are beneficial because they are significantly less weight than their wire rope alternatives. Plasma rope can be seven times lighter than wire rope. The lightweight aspect of using plasma synthetic rope makes it easier to handle, carry, and use.
- Safe – Plasma slings and rope are also very safe to use to keep you and your cargo safer. When you compare plasma rope to steel wire rope, safety is a clear benefit because plasma does not have the uneven breakage and recoil that can happen with the wire rope. If/when wire rope breaks, the rope strands break apart and can fly off the rope at a dangerous force. Plasma rope does not break in that same way and has a very low risk for recoil, which makes it a safer alternative.
- Flexible – This type of rope and sling is also a very flexible type. It is made from High Modulus Polyethylene (HMPE) that is enhanced for increased strength, but the rope is also very flexible for applications that require bending.
- Versatile – This synthetic rope is also very versatile. It can be used in a variety of applications across different industries. This rope can be used in pulling, mooring, or winching. It can also be made into a sling and be used in lifting and rigging applications.
- Resistant to Corrosion, UV Rays, Water, and More – This synthetic rope has a polyurethane finish that is applied to the rope after it is constructed. This helps to improve its resistance. It makes it more resistant to UV rays, water, snaps, and corrosion.
- Buoyant – Another benefit to plasma rope is that it is buoyant in water. This can be configured with various buoyancy for different jobs, but this makes it useful in a variety of applications, including offshore applications.
- Ease of Use – This type of synthetic rope and sling is also a great option because it is easy to use. Its flexibility and lightweight nature make it easy to carry, move, haul, and hook up. This reduces strain on the rigger and makes their job easier overall.
- Easy to Splice – This type of rope is also very easy to splice. Splicing and repairs can even be performed in the field because it can be done quickly without many specialized tools.
- Custom Capabilities – Plasma rope and slings are also highly customizable. These can be customized for a particular job or application so that you can get exactly what you need. The ease of customization can help us easily get you what you want, when you need it.
As you can see, there are a lot of benefits to using plasma rope and slings. This type of rope does cost more than wire rope and wire rope slings, but depending on your job, the benefits could outweigh the costs.
Plasma Sling Protection
"Slings in contact with edges, corners, protrusions, or abrasive surfaces shall be protected with a material of sufficient strength, thickness, and construction to prevent damage." - ASME B30.9 (2021) 9-5.10.4(d)
We offer a broad selection of sling protection, from wear pads to cut-resistant sleeves to magnetic attachments.
Other Types of Rope and Slings
Plasma rope and slings could be the perfect fit for your job, but if you are in need of another type of material, we have options for you. We have wire rope and wire rope slings available to you, as well as chain slings, nylon slings, and polyester round slings. If you have questions about which is right for your application, reach out to our customer service team.