Shop By Category
Plasma® Rope and Lifting Slings
Plasma Lifting Rope and Slings
Plasma UHMWPE rope is a synthetic rope made from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene that is used in a variety of lifting and rigging applications. It can either be used as just rope or made into slings for overhead lifting. The product is gaining popularity because of its lightweight but strong design - it can be up to seven times lighter than wire rope, making it easier to carry, handle, and use!
Learn more about plasma rope and slings below but reach out to our customer service experts if you have questions.
What is UHMWPE Rope?
Plasma rope is made from a high-strength synthetic material that's been enhanced using a patented recrystallization process. This UHMWPE fiber comes with a polyurethane finish and has low stretch (showing only 3-4% elongation at break) and excellent flexibility.
It's easy to splice - shortening repair time - and the superior abrasion-resistance (in both wet and dry conditions) means it can be used in everything from general lifting/rigging applications to more demanding configurations like marine and wind energy.
Plasma Rope Construction
All UHMWPE rope sold by US Cargo Control is 100% made in the USA. This domestic-made synthetic rope has two main construction types: 12 strand and 12x12.
Plasma 12 Strand Rope
Plasma® 12 strand is torque-free and offers the highest strength with the lowest stretch. It floats in water, making it ideal as a vessel mooring line or an inland river barge line.
Plasma 12x12 Double Braided Rope
This type of synthetic rope is a braided rope. There are 12 strands of braided rope and each of these strands is a 12-strand rope like the one described above.
Plasma® 12x12 is a much larger rope that provides a high-strength alternative to wire rope. It's much lighter than comparably-strong wire rope and is also extremely flexible, which means it can be easily used in applications where the rope needs to be bent.
Plasma Synthetic Rope Slings
The strength and capability of plasma rope make it a great option for a sling as well. We offer you plasma eye and eye slings that have great strength and are very lightweight. We offer these in several lengths, but also have custom options available to you. Plasma slings are comparable to wire slings in terms of size and capacity, but they are more lightweight and flexible.
The UHMWPE rope that makes up the sling offers you great strength and flexibility. These synthetic rope slings offer you the highest strength-to-weight ratio. It is also very easy to inspect the sling to see if there is damage or if a repair is needed. Additionally, these slings offer you abrasion-resistance, corrosion-resistance, and water-resistance.
Questions about our plasma slings? Reach out to our customer service team and let them help you get exactly what you want, when you need it.
Plasma Slings & Rope Applications
So what are products made from UHMWPE fiber typically used for? Due to their strength and flexibility, they are an excellent choice for a number of jobs.
Some great applications for this type of rope can be offshore lifting applications, tug and salvage lines, as well as ship and barge mooring lines. Water-based applications are common because the rope is water-resistant and can be created with different buoyancies to fit with different applications.
Plasma rope can also be used as recovery and tow rope for large vehicles, and is suitable for a lot of other work as well.
UHMWPE Rope and Slings Benefits
- Strong – Plasma rope and slings offer you solid strength and capability. The strength of this type of rope and sling is often the same as wire rope and wire rope slings.
- Safe – They also very safe to use to keep you and your cargo safer. When you compare plasma rope to steel wire rope, safety is a clear benefit because plasma does not have the uneven breakage and recoil that can happen with the wire rope. If/when wire rope breaks, the rope strands break apart and can fly off the rope with dangerous force. Plasma rope does not break in that same way and has a very low risk for recoil, which makes it a safer alternative.
- Resistant to Corrosion, UV Rays, Water, and More – This synthetic rope has a polyurethane finish to improve its resistance. It makes it more resistant to UV rays, water, snaps, and corrosion.
- Buoyant – Another benefit to plasma rope is that it is buoyant in water. This product can be configured with various buoyancies for different jobs, but this makes it useful in a variety of applications, including those taking place offshore.
- Easy to Splice – This type of rope is also very easy to splice. Splicing and repairs can even be performed in the field because it can be done quickly without many specialized tools.
As you can see, there are a lot of benefits to using plasma rope and slings. This type of rope does cost more than wire rope, but depending on your job, the benefits could outweigh the costs.
Custom Rope and Slings
Plasma rope and slings are also highly customizable, making sure you get exactly what you need. Choose the exact length and UHMWPE rope diameter to fit your application.
Plasma Sling Protection
"Slings in contact with edges, corners, protrusions, or abrasive surfaces shall be protected with a material of sufficient strength, thickness, and construction to prevent damage." - ASME B30.9 (2021) 9-5.10.4(d)
We offer a broad selection of sling protection, from wear pads to cut-resistant sleeves to magnetic attachments.
Comprehensive Lifting Supplies
Plasma rope and slings could be the perfect fit for your job, but if you are in need of another type of material, we have options for you. We have wire rope and wire rope slings, as well as chain slings, nylon slings, and polyester round slings.
If you have questions about which is right for your application, reach out to our team of product experts for assistance.