Rigging & Lifting
- Wire Rope
- Nylon Lifting Slings
- Polyester Round Slings
- Wire Rope Slings
- Chain Slings
Count on US Cargo Control for all your wire rope needs. Call our wire rope experts at. We have a wide variety of cable railing and cable railing assemblies. For more information, visit our cable railing page.
Learn More About Wire Rope
Incredibly durable, wire rope is ideal for outdoor environments because its strength and length remain constant when wet or dry. There are many different sizes, configurations, and materials that form wire rope. Our category includes a variety of 304 stainless steel wire rope, galvanized wire rope, and bright wire rope in configurations from the 6x19 and 6x37 c lasses.
We also carry steel cable that’s also known as cable railing or aircraft cable. It’s a wire rope but with a smaller diameter and end uses that are lighter-duty than regular wire rope.
Looking for accessories to use with wire ropes? Our rigging supplies category includes hardware and accessories for cranes, dredging, excavating, hoists & winches, logging, and marine uses. If you’re unsure what type of wire cables or wire cable accessories you need, call us for help from our product specialists with expertise in wire rope/rigging supplies.
- Diameter of the rope: To properly measure the diameter of steel wire ropes, measure the rope at its widest point. This is an industry standard with wire cable manufacturers and steel cable suppliers.
- Grade of Steel- IPS, EIPS, EEIPS: IPS is the abbreviation for Improved Plowed Steel. EIPS is Extra Improved Plowed Steel and has roughly 10% more strength than IPS. EEIPS is Extra Extra Improved Plowed Steel and is approximately 10% stronger than the EIPS. We carry a great selection of IPS and EIPS wire ropes.
- Direction of stranding and closing: Right hand and left hand designates which way the strands wrap around the core of the steel rope. Regular lay and Lang lay specify which way the wires are formed in the helix pattern. Regular lay means the wires are rotated opposite the direction of the strands around the core. Lang lay means the wires are twisted in the same direction as the strands are wrapped around the wire rope core. Our wire rope lay is right hand regular lay, with strands wrapped around the core to the right, and the wires making up the strand turned and rotated to the left.
- Wire Finish- Bright Wire, Galvanized Wire, Type 304 Stainless Steel: Most wire ropes have a bright, self-colored finish hence the name. Wire ropes generally have a coating of lubricant to reduce friction and protect from corrosion. However, there are wire ropes that are galvanized, 304 and 316 stainless steel, or coated in vinyl and other plastics. These are three of the most common finishes offered by wire rope manufacturers.
- Material of the Core: Fiber Core (FC) or Independent Wire Rope Core (IWRC) - Fiber cores are made of vegetable (sisal, etc.) or synthetic (polypropylene, etc.) fibers. IWRC offer more support to the outer strands, and have a higher resistance to crushing. IWRC also offer more resistance to heat, reduces the amount of stretch, and increases the strength of the rope.
- Strands: Another variable in wire rope is how many strands make up the rope and how many wires make up one strand. For instance, a 6x26 wire rope has 6 strands around a core with 26 wires making up each strand. The 2 main classes of wire rope that US Cargo Control carries are 6x19 and 6x37. In the 6x19 Class, the wires per strand can vary from 19 to 26. In the 6x37 Class, the wires per strand can vary from 27 to 49. The 6x19 class is the most common class and offers higher resistance to abrasion but the 6x37 class offers a higher flexibility.
Although wire rope is extremely strong, it can become damaged with improper use, and becomes unsafe. It’s important to inspect your wire rope for broken wire, corrosion, overuse wear, and kinks.
The size, finish and braided wire rope construction can be important factors depending on the application. If you have questions about any of our wire rope prices, quantities, or accessories, call us to speak to one of our product specialists. But with the newest and biggest selection of wire rope steel cables on the web, you can simply click and buy. You don't have to go through the hassle of calling for pricing and worry about price fluctuation of our braided wire cable selection.